I've defeated Ganon, and am going about leisurely exploring, clearing more shrines as I come across them. The one intentional task I have at the moment is scourging Hyrule of mini-bosses (Hinox, Lynels, and Talus mostly). Not sure what my progress is overall, but I know I've killed everything in the southwest sector of the map. Still, the fun factor is holding strong and there is still much to explore. Heroes path mode is pretty handy showing where I have not been.
Horizon Zero Dawn just updated with the DLC The Frozen Wilds. I tried finding the three npcs who can start the DLC questline, but cannot for some reason, though I've been all over the locations mentioned in the IGN guide. I'll try again later. I still say that this is my number 2 game of the year, mostly on account of Aloy being unable to climb anything, unlike Link.
What other open world games would I like to try?
- Red Dead Redemption 2 - This is the drop-playing-everything-else game I'm anticipating the most for 2018. Loved the first one.
- Ghost Recon: Wildlands - Never played a Tom Clancy game. Is it anything like MGSV?
- Agents of Mayhem - Set in the Saint's Row universe somehow. If I get to play with superpowers I'll be happy.
- Rime - Lindsey Stirling did a song for it. Looks pretty, and I like puzzles, exploration, and being enchanted. Sure, I'll give it a go.
- Middle Earth: Shadow of War - I enjoyed Shadow of Mordor, so I imagine I will this one as well. I am not bothered by what they've apparently done to the lore. Parallel world, let's say, and be done with it.
- Dual Universe - Not to be confused with the anime of the same name. A multiplayer space game with voxel building. If I get into a spacey mood, I may go for it.
- Elex - Looks like Skyrim with technology. Did they find the spaceship from beyond the barrier peaks? Intriguing. No, it looks like it's the far-future apocalypse that's essentially medieval. Cool.
- Monster Hunter World - Hit your mute button! Man I have auto-playing music. Anyway, the game looks pretty good, though I've never played this series before.
- Anthem - Look, there are so many open world games now.... if I leave one to the wayside It'll be this. Also, not a fan of the very fake chatter in the gameplay preview.
- Watch Ducks 2 - I already have this one, but there's the season pass... It was pretty fun so I may pick that up later.
- Assassins Creek: Origins - I'm not just super into Assassins Creek games, but if I were to skip a few, It'd be to this one.
- Fart Cry 5 - This one, depending on how they go about it, could very well rub me the wrong way. I'll see based on people's gameplay vids after it releases. The setting is interesting, and cultists are a worthy adversary, but it depends on how they portray normal Christians.
- Witcher 3 - I am kinda noncommittally playing this currently. I'd really rather be playing it on console. Really, that goes for all of the above, I'd prefer it on console... for now.
- Another Zombie Game - I will not play it.