Being a Jaded Gamer

 Seriously? I'm still at the dang publishing company doing droll factory work? Dang it.

There was a coworker there who I spoke to early on a bit about tabletop gaming, Pathfinder, D&D, etc. and movies. After discussing the cut Sony got from Spiderman films, which the guy referred to as Disney whining (because they kind of got boned on the deal, at the time anyway) we basically had no meaningful conversation for a little over two years. He randomly gave me a copy of an RPG that was mistakenly returned to our plant and said he was reading about it. The game was Delta Green, essentially a cut-rate Cthulhu Mythos ripoff.

Fast forward to about 6 months ago. He asked me if I'd like to play in a game of Delta Green. I decided to do it for a little social interaction. When the group assembled in the backroom of a coffee shop, the members consisted of myself, the GM, and who I'll refer to as the jerk and the block of wood. I was the eldest there, and as usual I took a while to warm up even slightly. I am extremely cautious and distrusting by default, and I was assessing them all. 

The game sessions varied from bland to slightly interesting. What's going on there? That was a bit weird. Most of it was making search checks, questioning witnesses, and making sanity checks at the slightest provocation. We eventually found the "night floors" that only appeared... you get it. We were attacked by a feminist... like, with a tomahawk... that is after the obvious expectation. My character tried and failed to punch her. The jerk's character then shot her twice, killing her. The GM then told me my character had to deal with the mental strain of attacking a woman in self defense, but seeing her shot to death was apparently fine. Later rocks fell on my dude and he presumably died.

The GM found work elsewhere and told us we would presumably have more freedom to schedule games. However, I think he changed his mind when I made him feel threatened by displaying some amount of knowledge. We had found a book, a grimoire written in Latin, titled Hygromanteia. This is a "real" book, as in you can get a copy in real life... it has an ISBN. That title is actually Greek, meaning roughly "fluid divination". This is actually misleading, I found out after ten minutes of research, as its mostly about making weapons to fight demons. 

I've been studying Greek so I recognized it, though I had to look up the meaning. I argued that my character, who had Greek as a language, should recognize the fact that the title is Greek and have an idea of its purpose, though still unable to read the text inside. I wasn't asking much. The GM however dismissed my knowledge and research and decided to ignore it. That was the last time we spoke. I figure he felt threatened by my knowledge of something he didn't know. He then used the change in job as an excuse to cleanly ghost me. So screw him. 

I've had it with nerds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anhedonia

Hope is my Power!